Monday, April 9, 2012

Menu planning, grocery shopping & the "B" word (Budget)

(Budget... I shudder still when I think of that B word. In my mind, it is shackles. In reality, it prevents shackles.)
We have basically no time to waste. I leave work early to pick up our 6 yr old, and without a plan for every day, I will scramble to figure out what's for dinner and they'll end up eating ramen and chicken nuggets and then I won't cook dinner for my husband and then at 8 pm, I'll eat a bowl of oatmeal. That's not dinner time.
So I re-subscribed to emeals and couldn't be more excited to have a plan, a budget ANd a grocery list. I chose ALDI for mine, since we are blessed to have one so close. With minor modifications to their plan, we spent $63 for our family for this week. I will have to go get milk and eggs in another trip (probably to Sprouts) but I think I can feed us 3 meals a day + snacks for $100 a week. This will include fresh, organic fruits & veggies from Sprouts.
This leaves me about $50-75 a month to build up food storage and supplies. That's not a lot! We may do even better if I can get said 6 yr old to actually eat beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment